Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again...

I have been chastised! My wife just told me that she doesn't look at my blog because I write so infrequently. I asked her what she wanted to read and she said, "Anything. Just write anything. Tell me about your running or about anything going on in your life. Just write something." So, I am making a commitment to myself right now - I plan on blogging for the next 21 days straight in an effort to build a habit of blogging and move this from the last item on my "To Do" list to a more prominent position. So I am back in the old blogger saddle again - in a big way... (Well, we'll see! LOL)

Regarding running, I am back in the saddle there too. In early January I stressed my left calf and pulled a muscle deep within. It was not the big muscle you can feel and see, it was one of the smaller ones imbedded deeper inside the calf. I am usually able to run through pain to a fairly strong degree, but not this. When it occurred I limped the 1 1/2 miles home and didn't run for 4 days. When I started back I was able to go less than 1/2 mile when again I found myself walking home. So, I put my running shoes on the shelf in my closet for 41 days with no running whatsoever. I maintained fitness through cycling, but runners are biased and have an attitude towards riding a bike. It did serve a purpose and help me keep my aerobic training up so that at the end of the respite, I was able to run fairly well. I have been running again for less than 2 weeks but all seems well at this moment.

February and the first week of March were my travel months for IMB and SBTC. I found myself flying somewhere 5 out of 6 weeks in a row. I was usually only away 2 or 3 days, but that much time away from family and the office takes a toll. Glad to be anchored down in Odessa and not heading anywhere until the May IMB meetings.

Okay, so I have blogged today. I feel like it was rather trivial and of no significant value but day 1 is in the bank and I am back in the saddle again. So stay tuned and what follows will have more substance in the days ahead – I promise. In fact, I have been preaching a sermon from Hebrews 11 on the radical nature of faith. So in the days ahead, look for some thoughts related to faith and the absolute necessity of faith to please God. It will be fun!